TATTOO AFTERCARE INFORMATION:
Curious about tattoo aftercare? Got a copy after getting your tattoo but you can’t find it? Don’t worry! You’re covered!! Here are the “Do’s & Don’t’s” for tattoo care:
- Remove your bandage in the manner your artist tells you to. There are different styles of bandages used, and how long to keep yours on depends on that. It could be 2 hours or 2 days. If you forgot, email your artist!
- As soon as the bandage is removed, wash it with a mild soap. Continue washing at least 2x/day with the soap that was recommended by your tattooist.
- 2 to 3 days after your bandage is removed, unscented, water-based lotion may be applied with freshly-washed hands, to your DRY tattoo if needed. DO NOT MOISTURIZE DAMP SKIN! This is very important. Some people opt for a “dry heal” during this period. That’s fine too. Your artist will have gone over what options would be best for your specific tattoo.
- Once your tattoo peels (usually in 4-6 days), lotion can be applied as needed.
- Tell your friends where you got your new tattoo!
- Drink plenty of water!
- DON’T PICK OR SCRATCH AT YOUR HEALING TATTOO!
- DON’T TOUCH YOUR TATTOO WITH DIRTY/UNWASHED HANDS!
- DON’T EXPOSE YOUR TATTOO TO THE SUN FOR AT LEAST 3 WEEKS!
- DON’T SUBMERGE YOUR TATTOO UNDER WATER (swimming, hot tubs etc) FOR 2 WEEKS!
*Initial healing time for a tattoo is 2 weeks, but a tattoo can take up to 2 months to fully heal!
IMPORTANT - IF YOU THINK YOUR TATTOO MAY BE INFECTED, AND IT DOES NOT IMPROVE WITHIN 24 HOURS, SEEK THE ADVICE OF A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IMMEDIATELY! DO NOT ASK YOUR FRIENDS OR OTHER TATTOOERS FOR ADVICE!